Where there's a Willesden there's a way

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Stake in the Future


I found a leaflet on my doorstep this morning from the Liberal Democrats saying "Good Morning", and the Mayor of London was outside Willesden Green station handing out leaflets. I want this to happen every day.

Yes, it's Polling Day, and all day I've been handing out red clothespegs to disillusioned Labour voters. We remember the war, tuition fees the dome and all those other great errors of judgment. But in marginals like Watford, you really have to hold your nose and vote Labour.

Of course, in other parts of the world you have to walk miles and brave armed militias to vote. I only had to travel to Watford and back, but I still feel like I've gone that extra mile or ten to exercise my democratic duty. So I can feel a bit smug. The ideal situation is a small Labour majority and a big gain for the Liberal Democrats. And here in Brent East, it's looking good for the Lib Dems.

The offices are home to a polling station, and there's been a steady trickle of Borehamwood residents trudging in and out. No queues, and definitely no fights. But in the short space of time I was in the loo, I missed out on seeing the Monster Raving Loony Party Truck, which pulled up outside the office window in a short blaze of dancing, music and loudhailers. I missed the first bit of excitement in this town for a long time.

It's quite exciting though. I like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home