Where there's a Willesden there's a way

Friday, April 14, 2006

Not what you were expecting?

"So, these bits here? What do these mean?"
"Oh, those are your sleep-in shifts. You start at 12, finish at 10pm, sleep in the house, and then wake up at 7.30, go home at 3pm."
"..and then I do it all again the next day?"
"That's right."

It's the end of week one in Greenborough, and I'm dazed. The job wasn't quite what I had in mind- it's one house I'm based in with two service users. Who seem very nice- but I'm not sure what it will be like being there 26 hours at a time. I'm going to have some scary responsibilities- giving injections and the like. Additionally I'm likely to find myself at a loose end quite a lot of the time- the idea of sleeping in means that if I'm needed, the tenants will wake me up. I don't sleep particularly well at the best of times, and I suspect I'll be permanantly waiting for the other shoe to drop.

On the bright side, the huge number of overnight shifts means that I'm unexpectedly quite rich. And I'm thinking a video ipod might alleviate some of the boredom. Or a portable DVD player. Or a PSP. Or maybe just a new laptop. Hmmm...

To most people this wouldn't be a massive deal, but as someone who's got used to saying "I could never afford that", I'm rich beyond my wildest dreams. Wow...

Of course, this time and opportunity must not be wasted. Maybe along with my ipod and my toothbrush, I should be taking along some hefty social theory books. I'll enter the Greenborough coccoon as a secretarypiller, and fly out a beautiful social worker butterfly.

Like I say, I'm a bit dazed. It will all start making sense in a few weeks. Right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Good luck with the new job! Hope the nights fly by.

Found a link to a story you might like:
http://www.londonlostandfound.com/unusual/unusualplaces6.htm

See you soon,
Tom B

10:52 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home