Where there's a Willesden there's a way

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Greenborough Blues

"Hi there, nice to meet you."
"Nice to meet you too, I haven't seen you at this group before."
"No, I'm new, so just getting to know people."
"And whereabouts do you live?"
"Willesden."
"Oh, you're a long way from home."
"I suppose I am, yes."
"Is your social worker with you?"

Obviously working with people with learning disabilities you prepare yourself for the fact that anything can happen. However, what's surprised me so far is how many times I've been mistaken for a service user. I should start wearing my ID badge more often.

It's been entertaining in the house, anyway. I did my first lone, 24-hour shift on Wednesday, and apart from being kept up for several hours, and a minor panic when I thought my client was about to die, it was not bad at all. I don't know how it's going to feel when I'm doing this three times a week, but we'll see. And just think of the money, and the experience. And we're going to have some fun, right?

Friday was a team birthday, and of course I had to come out, meet some people, and generally make a good impression. This would have been a lot easier had I not had a gigantic bite mark on my neck.

I've certainly made an impression the past two weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home