Where there's a Willesden there's a way

Monday, November 29, 2004

December is all I can see...

Winter's here. There's no avoiding it now.

On my way into Asda, I passed a cute parisian couple holding hands wrapped in brightly coloured scarves and warm berets. I was imagining a glamourous view of an attractive winter, watching the stars and moon in the crystal clear sky, when my train of thought was interrupted by an old man with a hacking cough. Somehow, that seems more realistic.

Walking around Asda, the few shoppers who had bothered turning out were walking listlessly around the supermarket, half-heartedly piling shiny groceries in their trolleys, barely looking at the labels. In the queue, Band Aid 20 come over the sound system, so I hurriedly turned on my walkman. I was musing on how Thoughts of a Dying Atheist could easily be a Christmas song.

I know the moment's near
and there's nothing we can do
look through a faithless eye
are you afraid to die?

And...
It scares the hell out of me
and the end is all I can see
and it scares the hell out of me
and the end is all I can see

Maybe it should be on my next Christmas Compilation. Along with Simon the Boxing-Day Arsenist 20.

Speaking to the man on the checkout, I asked why it had been so quiet.

"It's been like this all day" he said. "I'm not shopping myself, I've got credit cards to pay off."

"It's almost as if everyone just decided, for one day, not to go out and buy any rubbish."

He smiled.

"Imagine if everyone decided not to buy anything at all, and decided to do something better, like go for a walk in the fresh air, or go and see a film."

Looks were exchanged in the queue. I put my microwave curry in a bag, said goodnight and disappeared into the night. It was probably for the best.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home