Where there's a Willesden there's a way

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

That's "Keys" and "Due Process"...

Oh no, I'm having a bit of an insular moment.

I like to think of myself as an inclusive sort of person. (As long as you're English-speaking and are located somewhere in the South East of England, let's not get carried away here). BUt otherwise I look down with scorn at the way other people use their powers to exclude outsiders. In the way Oxbridge Colleges have names like "Caius" and "Magdalene", and the way Americans drag them behind their pick-up trucks or lock them away in order to protect national security.

But I had to order some leaflets at work today, and after giving my postcode, the bored call centre operative said "is that HERts-mere social services?". I started to say "HARTs-mere", then I paused.

"Yes, it is. It definitely is. I'm really sorry."

It's a slippery slope. Next up "Actually it's Maudlin" or "Whose country is it anyway?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home