Where there's a Willesden there's a way

Sunday, April 18, 2004

Waking up is hard

It's usually a sign of a pretty bad social faux pas when you're the last guest left at a party. But when all the other guests have run off at once, and the very low hostess has resisted your attempts to make your excuses at the same time, you don't feel too embarrassed, just a little awkward.

When you're me, late night conversations with depressed people are pretty much par for the course. In fact, I don't think I've ever been to a party that hasn't ended up like this. When the party's in full swing, I'll be making small talk with strangers, but it's only when a guest starts crying after 11 that I can definitely say "yeah, you're on."

There were two differences last night. First of all, I could find absolutely nothing coherent to latch on to for my late night on-the-spot counselling. Secondly, and this was a social faux pas, I couldn't remember her name. Awkward.

I just wonder if all parties end with a miserable guest, or is it just something I bring out in people? Answers on a postcard if you've ever been to a party with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home