Where there's a Willesden there's a way

Tuesday, December 16, 2003

I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad...

Strange old night last night. It seems this cloud of misery has just been following me around.

I went to the Alternatives Solstice talk at 7, which I usually enjoy, but I really don't think I was in the mood for it last night. Which is why I stormed out and ended up describing the lead speaker repeatedly as "a gobshite" to a long-suffering (and lovely) friend.

I just kept telling myself "I paid £8 to listen to this gobshite", "£8" and, "this gobshite". At certain points in his talk/song, he demonstrated the full vocal range he doesn't have, compared his suffering to that of a Brazilian street-child with a metal grille for a bed, and (and I'm impressed he wrote this so quickly) compared the darkness in parts of his heart with Saddam's dark hidey-hole.

Like I say, I stormed out. And I ended up at Somerset House, chilling by the Ice rink. As i arrived, lights were flashing and people were skating around to "Let Me Entertain You". As soon as I bought a coffee and sat down by the ice, the tempo switched slightly, to "Mad World."

And as the chorus wept
"I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad,
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had"
two skaters crashed right into each other.

I think I may have disgraced myself too. After getting very annoyed about paying all that money, I was less than happy when I paid £4 for a whiskey at another friend's party, who then tried to charge me £5 for a ticket. So I left- I really didn't feel like a party anyway.

Mine aren't as glamourous, but at least they're free!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home