Where there's a Willesden there's a way

Friday, September 22, 2006

What have I done....?

"But it's twice as hard for two people to fall out of a boat right?"
"Well, it's not that simple. If you opt for a two man canoe you might find it's more stable, however..."
"Just say yeah."

Friday morning, and just as the rest of the world prepares to wind down for the weekend, the thought of my weekend is winding me up. Usually I'm fine as soon as I know all the facts, however, the more I learn about this the worse it seems.

I agreed to take three service users from Greenborough on a camping trip leaving this evening. However, it was only yesterday anyone mentioned canoes. And on talking to the leader of this trip, apparently it's not really camping at all. It's more sleeping on the floor of a scout hut. With 20 other people. Suddenly every rubbish scout trip I went on as a kid, which to this day has put me off taking any sort of holiday, has all come rushing back to me. I've slept on floors in halls, rickety bunk beds crammed into tiny rooms, shared a double hotel room with *five* other kids, and slept under decaying canvas on a postage stamp-sized swamp in the pouring rain with 22 others whilst the leaders have enjoyed a rather fine Swiss chalet.

Essentially I had some crappy holidays as a kid. And this has all the potential of being another one of those. I like camping on my own terms- Unlike any other scouting things, I've actually chosen to pack a tent and hit the road since turning 16. But I don't see how sleeping on a floor in a scout hut counts as camping. And why didn't anyone mention the canoes? Because I fucking hate those.

Just as when I was a kid, the Chief assures me that it will be character-building. Problem is I did all these 'character-building' things as a kid, and I still swear, smoke, drink, engage in risky sexual behaviour, go to bed late, manipulate, lie, cheat and do all those other things that would give Baden-Powell a heart attack.

OK, I'm a professional. I have £5.80, a sense of humour and 18 fags to get me through this weekend. Problem is, if any of those run out, we're all screwed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"and I still swear, smoke, drink, engage in risky sexual behaviour, go to bed late, manipulate, lie, cheat and do all those other things that would give Baden-Powell a heart attack."

You forgot that other one in the book... Remember...?

1:14 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home