Where there's a Willesden there's a way

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Elsewhere....

"the distance is quite simply much too far for me to row
it seems farther than ever before
oh no.
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer"
                      - Death Cab for Cutie, Transatlanticism

Sitting in the pub last night, I couldn't believe that I was back in Willesden. In fact, ever since I took the decision to run off to Turkey last week, everything's seemed a little unreal. Unreal to see her again, unreal to be on the other side of Europe on a whim, unreal that it was happening, and unreal that it happened. Two weeks of sleep deprivation may have been a factor as well.

Sometimes it helps to be wandering around in a daze. After studiously avoiding his calls all day yesterday, I learnt that my New Best Friend's father had just died, and I was nominated by the pub group to be the one to take him out for emergency counselling. And after an entire evening of that, well, it helps to be curiously detached from my surroundings.

Exactly the same thing is happening with Sister. Maybe I should be making frantic phone calls to see if she's in labour yet, how far apart the contractions are and all the other birth-related facts people scrabble for. But I really believe everything's going to be ok now, and so there's no need for anxiety.

Besides, I'm still in a dream world. I keep thinking I'll wake up and it will be July again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home